- CTRL + Mousewheel up/down: Change the font-size in a conversation window.
– CTRL + E: Center align text in a conversation window.
– CTRL + R: Right align text in a conversation window.
– CTRL + L: Left align text in a conversation window.
– F9: Open Gmail compose page to send an email to your friend.
– F11: Start a call with your friend.
– F12: End the current call.
– ESC: Close the current conversation window.
– ALT + ESC: Minimize the current window.
– CTRL + SHIFT + L: Switch between points, numbers, letters, capital letters, roman numbers and capital roman numbers.
– TAB: Switch between multiple chat windows.
– CTRL + I: Same as TAB.
– SHIFT + TAB: Same as TAB but in reverse order.
– CTRL + TAB: Same as SHIFT + TAB.
- A message is restricted to 32767 characters.
– Certain smileys are recognized by Google Talk and will be highlighted in blue color.
:-O B-) :'( :O
– To bold text in a Google Talk conversation, put a * around the word(s). Ex: example: Care for a *date*? –> Care for a date?
– To italicize text in a Google Talk converstation, put a _ around the word(s). Ex: example: Care for a _date_? –> Care for a date?
– You cannot bold nor italicize more than 100 characters at a time. If you exceed the limit, the desired effect will not take place.
- You can right click on the message notification pop-up window to close it.
- To change the display name on Google Talk, you need to go to Gmail account properties and change it there.
– In your away message you can add a website URL, and it will be clickable in conversation windows.
A hidden game uncovered in Google Talk:
Open the about dialog box right-clicking on the Google Talk icon in the windows taskbar. In the about screen you can see ‘play 23 21 13 16 21 19 . 7 1 13 5′. Each number represents a letter. a=1, b=2, c=3 … When you decrypt this message you get: ‘play wumpus.game’. To play the game, invite email@example.com as a friend, then type “Play”. You’ll now start a game of Hunt the Wumpus.
NOTE: Currently for some unknow reason the wumpus.game game bot seem to be offline.
If you know any Google Talk tips & tricks, please post them here in a comment.